Unfortunately, holiday parties, parades and big tree lighting festivities will most likely be put on hold this winter due to Covid-19 restrictions. Although some traditions, like holiday train rides and dazzling light displays, will continue, they may look a little different this year. Masks, social distancing and extra precaution should be used when attending such festive activities this winter.
If you’re looking at your holiday shopping list and are unsure what to get your grandchildren for Christmas, consider the gift of an experience. If the uncertainty of the Covid-19 pandemic the past eight months has taught us anything, it’s the value of quality time spent with loved ones. Although you may not be able to comfortably and safely go out and about like you would have last year with your family and grandchildren, there are still great opportunities for special memories to be made this holiday season!
We are blessed to live in the beautiful state of Pennsylvania, full of rich heritage, traditions, and things to get us in the holiday spirit. If you and your loved ones are healthy and feel comfortable venturing out for interactive experiences, you’re in luck – there are still lots of safe options this holiday season. On the other hand, if you and your family would feel more comfortable staying put this holiday season, there are a number of memories that can be made in virtual and stay-at-home ways.
Check out some of these fun and interactive options to enjoy with your family and friends in our area this holiday season:
- Dutch Apple Dinner Theater – This Lancaster establishment is taking Covid-19 safety precautions seriously (masks required, seating is spaced out and temperatures checks are taken upon arrival) while still entertaining their guests with festive theatrical shows and delicious food. Enjoy the modern holiday classic, Elf, while feasting on a variety of holiday buffets and served meals.
- Holiday light tours – Load up the family in your car and head to a local holiday light tour attraction to truly get in the holiday spirit! For some, staying put in the warmth of your car and enjoying the lights from afar is preferred. For others, consider walking through Koziar’s Christmas Village, located in Bernville, PA with over one million Christmas lights. Facial coverings, timed entry passes and social distancing are just some of the Covid-19 precautions they are taking to keep their guests safe.
- Strasburg Railroad – Travel with your family on America’s oldest operating railroad – it dates all the way back to 1832! Enjoy the peaceful ride through beautiful Amish countryside while listening to audio commentary, which provides interesting facts and history. They offer Christmas train rides, complete with visits with Santa Claus, holiday stories and opportunities to get a fresh cut Christmas tree. Advanced reservations and face masks are required for this holiday experience.
You can still offer your loved ones hands-on holiday fun and interactive experiences this season from the safety of their homes:
- Subscription boxes – These were popular before Covid-19 restrictions became part of our new reality, but now subscription boxes are even more popular and offer your loved ones lots of opportunities to be creative. Plan to join in on the fun via FaceTime or a Zoom meeting. There are a number of subscription boxes to choose from based on your grandchild’s age and interests, such as: Raddish Kids (a cooking club for kids), Little Passports (themes of geography, travel, world cultures, arts and STEM) and Kiwi Crate (interactive and enriching hands-on learning with kid-friendly instructions).
- Pottery Works kit – Located in the heart of Lancaster city, the PotteryWorks is downtown Lancaster’s number one paint-your-own pottery studio. They are offering kits where you can select pieces of ceramic pottery to paint and decorate from the comfort and safety of your own home. They even offer curbside delivery and pick-up in the Lancaster region. You could have one piece of pottery delivered to you and another delivered to your grandchild in order to have a virtual painting party via Zoom or FaceTime.
- Learn something new together – Thanks to modern technology, we can still “be together” and learn new things together even while apart. Enjoy learning a new skill together – such as a language, crocheting or cooking. There are even virtual cooking classes you can sign up for and enjoy together. You can even document your new skills and feel closer to your family by purchasing a digital picture frame that shows a reel of new pictures in real time.
How Can Landis at Home Help?
Landis at Home is a licensed home care agency located in Lititz, PA. We service individuals that are 18 years and older who live within a 15-mile radius of Lititz, located in Lancaster County, PA. Landis at Home offers reliable in-home services, including personal care, memory support and companionship services in the privacy of your own home for a few hours a day or for an extended time. If you’re needing supplies or in need of assistance to get holiday gifts for your loved ones, you can utilize our reliable and safe transportation services.
We would be happy to hear from you soon in regards to how we can help serve you! We can be reached at (717) 509-5800 or via the contact form on our website. The team at Landis at Home wishes you a very happy, healthy and safe holiday season!